Dr. Jordan Woodsworth is a general veterinary practitioner, PhD candidate, and part of the Wellness and Preventive Medicine team at the Western College of Veterinary Medicine’s Veterinary Medical Centre.She is a 2008 graduate of the WCVM and joined the staff at the VMC in 2012 to start the Wellness and Service Learning programs.

Jordan’s diverse professional interests include community engagement and social accountability in the veterinary profession, clinical communications, inter-professional work in the area of animal welfare, and elevating the quality and perception of well care for cats and dogs.

Jordan’s work in Northern Saskatchewan is an area of true passion, and she strives to use her role as a veterinary educator to provide opportunities for veterinary learners and practitioners to develop and practice culturally safe approaches to veterinary care. Her personal interests include lake time with her husband, 2 kids and dog, traveling and enjoying nature, and eating and cooking amazing food.

In Part 2 of this 4 part mini series, we’re talking about non-verbal communication:

  • Only 20% of communication is verbal, the remaining 80% is non-verbal
  • Non-verbal communication: all about observation and awareness
  • 4 types of non-verbal communication: kinesics, proxemics, paralanguage, autonomic changes
  • Where to start in improving non-verbal communication
  • Voice tone and pacing
  • The importance of visual cues
  • Close-talker or Far-talker? Sitting or standing?
  • Personal boundaries
  • Paralanguage: the secret sauce of communication

Look for Part 3 of this mini series coming out soon!

To connect with Dr. Woodsworth you can find her via email:

[email protected]

We’re online! Check out our website at theveterinaryproject.com for more info on the show, our hosts, and all things Veterinary Project.

If you liked the show and want to stay in the know, please subscribe to the podcast on the listening platform of your choosing.

Want to join our community of like-minded Veterinary Professionals? Send an email to [email protected] and we’ll get you connected to our private Veterinary Project Facebook group.

Any questions, comments, feedback, or requests for guests can also be sent to [email protected]. Thank you for listening and we look forward to seeing you next Wednesday for another episode of The Veterinary Project Podcast!

– Jonathan Leicht, DVM and Michael Bugg, DVM