Dr. Gary Marshall is a multi-faceted veterinary professional with years of experience in the industry.
As a graduate of the Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Dr. Marshall founded Island Cats Veterinary Hospital on Mercer Island, Washington in 1996. He is a mentor/coach for VetX International representing North America where he connects with many students and new graduate veterinarians on a consistent basis. With his position as Adjunct Professor for Washington State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine, there are several veterinary students receiving part of their clinical training at Island Cats.
Dr. Marshall is a Past-President of the Washington State Veterinary Medical Association and still serves on the Board of Directors. He also has previously served as Vice-Chairman of the American Veterinary Medical Foundation and currently serves as one of two representatives from Washington State in the House of Delegates for the American Veterinary Medical Association.
In 2020, he was appointed to the Advisory Group of the Commission for a Diverse, Equitable, and Inclusive Veterinary Profession, a joint venture of the AVMA and AAVMC.
At the end of 2020, Dr. Marshall was elected to the Board of Directors of the Women’s Veterinary Leadership Development Initiative. He has really enjoyed working with the women on the board and the experience has helped him refine what allyship can and should look like.
In our wide-ranging conversation we dive into:
- Where Greg’s @it.might.get.weird instagram handle comes from
- Stories from an entertaining 25+ years in veterinary medicine including business ownership, practicing, and academia
- Developing a feline focus
- Why you should stay curious about the profession
- How Greg found himself on the AVMF and the AVMA
- Working with the Women’s Veterinary Leadership Development Initiative
- Breaking down barriers and bridging the gap between generations within vet med
- Developing awareness of our unconscious biases
- Moving out of practice ownership
- Thoughts on the trend towards relief veterinarians and working alone
- Gary’s Impact Round!
Want to connect with Greg directly? Find him on instagram:
We’re online! Check out our website at theveterinaryproject.com for more info on the show, our hosts, and all things Veterinary Project.
If you liked the show and want to stay in the know, please subscribe to the podcast on the listening platform of your choosing.
Want to join our community of like-minded Veterinary Professionals? Send an email to [email protected] and we’ll get you connected to our private Veterinary Project Facebook group.
Any questions, comments, feedback, or requests for guests can also be sent to [email protected]. Thank you for listening and we look forward to seeing you next Wednesday for another episode of The Veterinary Project Podcast!
– Jonathan Leicht, DVM and Michael Bugg, DVM