Dr. Ashley Bourgeois is a board-certified veterinary dermatologist passionate about providing practical knowledge to general practitioners to help itchy pets!
She completed her bachelor’s degree at Iowa State University and graduated from the University of Missouri’s College of Veterinary Medicine in 2010. She then completed a one-year small animal internship at Purdue. Upon finishing her internship, she accepted a residency position with the Animal Dermatology Clinic’s Tustin, California location in 2011.
She became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Dermatology in 2014, then moved to Portland, Oregon in 2016 to help expand the company. She is an owner within the company and on the board of directors, who has a strong interest in autoimmune skin diseases, allergies, cytology, and otology.
Dr. Bourgeois is passionate about educating veterinarians in dermatology and work/life integration through her podcast, lecturing, and social media presence (@thedermvet).
In our conversation we cover:
- How Ashley got into veterinary dermatology
- Private placements, academic residencies, and determining which makes the most sense for you
- Becoming a shareholder and owner in a clinic, and how that’s altered Ashley’s perspective on the veterinary industry and how she sees her work
- Determining what works for you professionally
- The development of The Derm Vet (@thedermvet) on social media
- Dealing with doubts and how successful people approach doubt
- Being a “recovering perfectionist” and handling failure with authenticity
- How to set expectations for clients when it comes to dermatology issues
- Dr. Bourgeois’s impact round!
Thank you to Dr. Ashley Bourgeois for joining us on the Podcast! If you enjoyed the show and want to learn more about dermatology, check out The Derm Vet online and on social media in the following places:
We’re now online! Check out our new website at theveterinaryproject.com for more info about the show, our hosts, and all things Veterinary Project!
If you liked the show and want to stay in the know, please subscribe to the podcast on the listening platform of your choosing.
Want to join our community of like-minded Veterinary Professionals? Send an email to [email protected] and we’ll get you connected to our private Veterinary Project Facebook group.
Any questions, comments, feedback, or requests for guests can also be sent to [email protected]. Thank you for listening and we look forward to seeing you next Wednesday for another episode of The Veterinary Project Podcast!
– Jonathan Leicht, DVM and Michael Bugg, DVM